The Planning Portal is a very useful website, it allows you to see graphically within the interactive house tab what is generally permitted without the need for planning permission Planning Portal. It is also the method which majority of planning applications are submitted saving time and money.

planning portal


JLM has a partnership with Central Bedfordshire Council building control services since 2007 this offers many benefits; the partnership entails that all building control applications (regardless of address) are submitted to and checked by Central Bedfordshire Council. We have an excellent working relationship which ensures applications are not only checked thoroughly but fairly in spirit of the guidance given in the approved documents ; Central Bedfordshire’s role is to approve the drawings, the inspections are then carried out by the relevant local authority’s building control department. There are occasions when those visiting officers become a little over zealous in their onsite requests. Not all requests are valid, particularly if they are dealt with on the drawing and approved by Central Bedfordshire Council; if in doubt ALWAYS call JLM for clarity and support.

The only time this would not be utilized would be for projects in LUTON, there it is highly recommended that you avoid the Building Regs Department completely and use a Private Building Control Inspector system to avoid the fuss and nonsense Luton BC dish out.

LABC PAS Logo 2016.


The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is applicable in a variety of situations even if your house is detached, useful guidance which also gives you sample letters for the relevant notice is shown on their website. This can only be served on completion of the working drawings, but early consultations with affected neighbours are highly advisable. Should those parties be satisfied with your proposals then the procedure is relatively easy and it is recommended that you write the acceptance letter for your neighbour for them to sign. However, should the indications be that the neighbour requires professional reassurance then a Party Wall Surveyor must be appointed, the neighbour has the right to chose but it is highly recommend you work together to utilise one surveyor. JLM is proud to recommend Anthony Lacey FRICS of JM Consultants to deal with all your Party Wall queries.

partywall act


Having a form of contract between the home owner and contractor is ALWAYS recommended; the quotation is NOT sufficient as a form of contract and may not safeguard your interests. For home extensions there is a special contract which can be purchased from JCT or you obtain a free version from FMB .

jct-logo    fmb-logo


Building over or near to a Public Sewers is much more prevalent these days since the law was changed 1st October 2011, any drain serving more than one house automatically is regarded as a ‘Public Sewer’. If you are planning to build over or within 3m of a shared drain then a separate application needs to be submitted to the relevant water authority at the time of building control application – – building control will not approve drawings without the water board’s consent. Majority of projects undertaken by JLM cover two water authorities; Follow Thames Water or Anglian Water for helpful information and application forms.

thames water logoAnglian Water logo


For new build homes calculations relative to water usage need resolving; this website is the best I have come across to deal with this complicated affair.

water calculator


Click the respective logo below to be taken to that council’s planning search page. Happy to work with all councils apart from Luton Borough Council as their planning and building control departments are impossible to deal with, life is too short to put up with their control.


        cLogo       central logo475x72pxlogo-bannerv2

logo   logo    three_rivers_logo   WHBC-LogoDacorumLogo







2015-09-07 Magnus Logo Words